Building ARM ports (was Re: Globalscale Dreamplug and 8.3 RELEASE)

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Aug 15 02:44:57 UTC 2012

On Aug 14, 2012, at 6:35 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Guys/girls/etc,
>
> OpenWRT manages it. They started from the ground up with having to cross-build.
>
> Just because the problem is hard to tackle doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

Agreed.  I worry the qemu solution sounds simple, but really will be harder.  Prove me wrong :)

> There's like a dozen half-done attempts at this. I realise you can't
> address _all_ the ports at once, but surely starting with a small
> subset and working outward is doable.
>
> I'll put up a bounty for anyone who actually comes up with a basic
> framework for supporting cross-building ports, documents how it
> does/doesn't work (eg if things like build vs run dependencies) and
> has a basic design for how to slowly fix ports to support it.

I have the basics, and have for years.  I've posted them several times.  The trouble is that they are very very basic and need more work.  I think you'll need to define the problem a little better before progress can be made.

Warners