Tyan S4881+M4881, SMP, 128GB RAM support?

Gibson, Jasen (GE Indust, ConsInd, consultant) jasen.gibson at ge.com
Fri Jul 7 15:23:17 UTC 2006

>On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 12:37:53PM -0500, Michael C. Wu wrote:
>
>I don't have the s4881 motherboard, but I would be
>surprized if FreeBSD did not work on it.
>
>My research group recent purchased a small hyperblade
>cluster from Appro.com.  The system has 6 nodes that
>are based on the s2881 motherboard with 2 dual-core
>2.4 GHz opteron, 16 GB of memory, and 233 GB hard drives.
>MPICH2 and gfortran appear to work quite nicely on
>the cluster.  The cluster includes a GigE switch, which
>I hope to replace with infiniband or myrinet in the
>future.
>
>I have no experience with the daughter board you mentioned.
>
>--
>Steve

Hey Steve, are the drives on the SATA controller?  I'm looking at a couple Tyan's for production use as well, S28xx or S38xx series, and the SATA/SATA II chipsets are the only thing that worry me.  Not seeing any promising experiences on the compatibility list on the freebsd.org website.  If I know at least one person has that SATA chipset working fine, I'll feel much safer.