Tyan S4881+M4881, SMP, 128GB RAM support?

Freddie Cash fcash at ocis.net
Fri Jul 7 15:37:26 UTC 2006

On Fri, July 7, 2006 8:23 am, Gibson, Jasen (GE Indust, ConsInd,
consultant) wrote:
> Hey Steve, are the drives on the SATA controller?  I'm looking at a
> couple Tyan's for production use as well, S28xx or S38xx series, and
> the SATA/SATA II chipsets are the only thing that worry me.  Not
> seeing any promising experiences on the compatibility list on the
> freebsd.org website.  If I know at least one person has that SATA
> chipset working fine, I'll feel much safer.

The SATA controller on the S2881 and S2882 work fine with FreeBSD 6.1.
 I didn't stress test our machines too much, but running in plain
non-RAID mode, I didn't run into any problems.  They are Silicon Image
3114 chipsets, not the greatest, but they work.  Most of our servers
using these motherboards run everthing off a 3Ware Escalade 9550SX
RAID controller, and run Debian Linux.

But we do have one system running FreeBSD 6.1 using two SATA drives
plugged into the onboard SATA controller, using atacontrols RAID1
features.  It's been running for a week now without any problems,
acting as a router, firewall, and SSH proxy.  Nothing disk-IO heavy,
but still running well.

----
Freddie Cash
fcash at ocis.net