Which MySQL version best to use and with/without linux threads?

Freddie Cash fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca
Fri Sep 30 09:25:40 PDT 2005

On September 30, 2005 06:22 am, Olaf Greve wrote:
> I've got a MySQL 4.0.16 DB running with several DB instances in it.
> So far, so good, but I'm looking for a bit of advice.

> I've got a few small questions:
> Firstly: is it (for a webserver) better to compile MySQL with
> linux-threads or without? I seem to recall having read that Linux
> uses a better threading mechanism, and that MySQL really benefits
> from this... What do you all think?

Scott Long and Kris Kenneway ran various benchmarks back in the early
5.x days comparing MySQL 4 compiled with LinuxThreads, libc_r, libkse
(the default threading library on 5.x and 6.x), and libthr.  In almost
all cases, libkse was just as faster or faster than LinuxThreads.

Short of doing your own benchmarks using your own data, it's safe to say
you don't need to use LinuxThreads when compiling MySQL.

> However... I was wondering what the advantages (and potential
> disadvantages!) may be of using a newer line of the MySQL DB.

> Can anyone tell me what the advantages/pitfalls may be of using
> v4.1.x or even v5, over using 4.0.x ?

MySQL 5.x hasn't even hit beta yet, you definitely don't want to be
using it on a production system.  :)

I've seen some reports where 4.1.x is a lot faster than 4.0.x, and other
reports where 4.1.x is a lot slower than 4.0.x.  Basically it comes
down to "do you need any of the features in 4.1 that are not in 4.0".

--
Freddie Cash, CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73             (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]
fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca