90nm core opterons scrapped?

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Fri Sep 23 17:37:50 PDT 2005

On Thursday 22 September 2005 04:40 pm, Daniel Rock wrote:
> Ken Gunderson schrieb:
> > Well, yeah, they're definitely faster.  Also another $700 each more
> > expensive.  I need them for a project and have been waiting on them
> > for 4 months now, each month AMD pushing them out another 30 days.
> > Getting to be freakin' ridiculous!  But definitely not very funny.
> > AMD is now telling my distributor that the 90nm cores were NEVER
> > released, wh/I don't find very believable.  So I am curious, does
> > anyone have any 90nm cores, or is the AMD guy telling the truth
> > about th CG being the "most recent"?
>
> You misunderstood. The E4/90nm cores are shipping - but only the
> faster ones (Opteron x46 onwards). I have two perfectly working
> Opteron 252 in my box - they only exist as 90nm cores.

I'm fairly sceptical that AMD produced any 90nm 244's.  I'd wager that
they had plenty of old stock left over of the slower cores in 130nm and
that it wasn't financially worth making new ones to replace the
perfectly functional old ones.  Anyway, thats what I suspect.  If one
wants an E4 90nm build, it probably means buying a click or two faster.
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com