90nm core opterons scrapped?

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Sat Sep 24 08:06:37 PDT 2005

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:42:21 -0700
Peter Wemm <peter at wemm.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 22 September 2005 04:40 pm, Daniel Rock wrote:
> > Ken Gunderson schrieb:
> > > Well, yeah, they're definitely faster.  Also another $700 each more
> > > expensive.  I need them for a project and have been waiting on them
> > > for 4 months now, each month AMD pushing them out another 30 days.
> > > Getting to be freakin' ridiculous!  But definitely not very funny.
> > > AMD is now telling my distributor that the 90nm cores were NEVER
> > > released, wh/I don't find very believable.  So I am curious, does
> > > anyone have any 90nm cores, or is the AMD guy telling the truth
> > > about th CG being the "most recent"?
> >
> > You misunderstood. The E4/90nm cores are shipping - but only the
> > faster ones (Opteron x46 onwards). I have two perfectly working
> > Opteron 252 in my box - they only exist as 90nm cores.
>
> I'm fairly sceptical that AMD produced any 90nm 244's.  I'd wager that
> they had plenty of old stock left over of the slower cores in 130nm and
> that it wasn't financially worth making new ones to replace the
> perfectly functional old ones.  Anyway, thats what I suspect.  If one
> wants an E4 90nm build, it probably means buying a click or two faster.

You'd be correct;-)  I had some discussions w/AMD the other day.  My
issue was that I had my upstream distributor inquire about them a few
months back and they were given a date that kept slipping another month,
then another month, etc.  Then I was finally told plans were "scrapped".
Reality is that it is a stock issue and they're waiting for exiting
supplies of 130nm cores to dwindle before releasing in rev E.  From the
sounds of it that's not going to happen in the next month or three.
The 246's would be fine but they're not available in US yet either.

Thanks to all who replied.

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson