FreeBSD 5.4 or 6 for DB server with 9500S-4 ?

Olaf Greve ogreve at millennics.com
Tue Nov 29 16:35:35 GMT 2005

Hi all,

First off: thanks a lot for the most excellent replies and opinions; no
worries they won't cause me to hang myself. ;)

At this very moment I'm over at the client's site and we're assembling the
machine, so this message will be short for now. As I feared, I'm still
Internet-less at home though it was actually due to Versatel being
physically unable to come over due to excessive high snowfall. Great. Just
when you need Internet most there's no chance that I'll have it at home
again for the next few days...:P

Either way: just like I'm doing now, I'll make some selective print-outs of
the various things mentioned in the threads about this topic and also of
some of the FreeBSD pages (like the one about the custom kernel). All in all
that should at the very least provide me with a proper roadmap.

I'll definitely keep you all up to date (both on and off list) as to the
progress of what'll happen with the installation, and as I have precious few
hours over here today, I think I shall first stick with several standard
things.

The strategy I'll perform will be:

1-Install FreeBSD 6.0 Release (I'll give it a shot and if it doesn't work
I'll fall back to 5.4).
2-Update the ports tree.
3-Install MySQL 4.1.x from the ports (I'll build it from there, after
checking/tuning the makefile).
4-Build a custom kernel.
5-Import the DB dump.
6-Tune the DB.

If I'll have enough time over here, I'll swap nrs. 3 and 4.

O.k., thanks so far and I'll keep you guys informed! Thanks a lot for the
excellent pointers, they were most useful in making the choices between the
various versions etc. I hope sticking with 6.0 is indeed a good idea (I
normally too tend to use Ray's philosophy of sticking with "non .0
versions"), but from what I gather the 6.0 version has already been pounded
on a lot, so I'll give it a go. :)

Cheers!
Olafo