FreeBSD 5.4 or 6 for DB server with 9500S-4 ?

ray at redshift.com ray at redshift.com
Tue Nov 29 16:40:11 GMT 2005

At 05:35 PM 11/29/2005 +0100, Olaf Greve wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| First off: thanks a lot for the most excellent replies and opinions; no
| worries they won't cause me to hang myself. ;)
|
| At this very moment I'm over at the client's site and we're assembling the
| machine, so this message will be short for now. As I feared, I'm still
| Internet-less at home though it was actually due to Versatel being
| physically unable to come over due to excessive high snowfall. Great. Just
| when you need Internet most there's no chance that I'll have it at home
| again for the next few days...:P
|
| Either way: just like I'm doing now, I'll make some selective print-outs of
| the various things mentioned in the threads about this topic and also of
| some of the FreeBSD pages (like the one about the custom kernel). All in all
| that should at the very least provide me with a proper roadmap.
|
| I'll definitely keep you all up to date (both on and off list) as to the
| progress of what'll happen with the installation, and as I have precious few
| hours over here today, I think I shall first stick with several standard
| things.
|
| The strategy I'll perform will be:
|
| 1-Install FreeBSD 6.0 Release (I'll give it a shot and if it doesn't work
| I'll fall back to 5.4).
| 2-Update the ports tree.
| 3-Install MySQL 4.1.x from the ports (I'll build it from there, after
| checking/tuning the makefile).
| 4-Build a custom kernel.
| 5-Import the DB dump.
| 6-Tune the DB.
|
| If I'll have enough time over here, I'll swap nrs. 3 and 4.
|
| O.k., thanks so far and I'll keep you guys informed! Thanks a lot for the
| excellent pointers, they were most useful in making the choices between the
| various versions etc. I hope sticking with 6.0 is indeed a good idea (I
| normally too tend to use Ray's philosophy of sticking with "non .0
| versions"), but from what I gather the 6.0 version has already been pounded
| on a lot, so I'll give it a go. :)
|
| Cheers!
| Olafo

Hi Olafo,

  I'm sure 6.0 is fine :-)  BTW, you might want to tweak /etc/make.conf before
you compile MySQL and the kernel, etc.  There are a couple of things you can add
in there that might speed the machine up a bit.  Although until you get it
running, it might be better off not to introduce more variables :)

Ray