64bit FreeBSD performance

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Tue Dec 6 12:01:21 PST 2005

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 08:09:08PM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
> David O'Brien wrote:
> >Your statement is hard to parse - to figure out what you're really
> >saying.  VMware 5.5 runs fine on AMD Athlon64 3700 (754-pin) systems if
> >you are running a 32-bit host and want to run 64-bit guests.  If you want
> >to run a 64-bit guest you need a revision D or later Athlon64.  64-bit
> >754-pin Semprons qualify.  It isn't an issue of the number of pins the
> >CPU has.  You cannot run a 64-bit guest on a 939-pin rev.CG Athlon64.
>
> Just for my information: what is the difference between those 'older'
> socket 939-athlon64 and newer CPUs that they aren't capable of running a
> 64-bit guest system?

Opteron/Athlon64 rev.D added segment limits to long mode.

> Well, I'm just only familiar with the so called 'market-names' of the
> Athlon64 chip series, like 'Winchester' or 'Venice'.

Those are the core code names - which not only include architecture
changes, but metal layers and other fab things.  I only care about the
architecture database revisions.  I.E. only the things that software can
"see", vs. fab things the OC'ers care about.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)