64bit FreeBSD performance

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.uni-mainz.de
Mon Dec 5 20:13:46 PST 2005

David O'Brien wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 08:57:12PM -0500, Derrick Edwards wrote:
>

>> 	All,
>>I purchased a amd anthlon 64 3700 (754) to be used with VMWARE 5.5. FreeBSD
>>was going to be the guest OS. It seems that VMWARE only works with amd 64 bit
>>(939). I was wondering if the performance gain of FreeBSD 64 bit really be
>>significant compared to 32bit FreeBSD.
>>

>Your statement is hard to parse - to figure out what you're really
>saying.  VMware 5.5 runs fine on AMD Athlon64 3700 (754-pin) systems if
>you are running a 32-bit host and want to run 64-bit guests.  If you want
>to run a 64-bit guest you need a revision D or later Athlon64.  64-bit
>754-pin Semprons qualify.  It isn't an issue of the number of pins the
>CPU has.  You cannot run a 64-bit guest on a 939-pin rev.CG Athlon64.

Just for my information: what is the difference between those 'older'
socket 939-athlon64 and newer CPUs that they aren't capable of running a
64-bit guest system?

Well, I'm just only familiar with the so called 'market-names' of the
Athlon64 chip series, like 'Winchester' or 'Venice'.

Thank you very much in advance for patience ...

Oliver