Packages/Ports problem

Adriaan de Groot adridg at cs.kun.nl
Thu Dec 11 04:32:26 PST 2003

Hey Jimmie,

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 21:45, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> My problem is that in the install it fails to get the selected packages.
> It installs the base and such correctly. I am left with a bootable
> system, but no XFree86 and other stuff.

As you may have noticed, there probably aren't many (any?) amd64 packages
available. This means you'll have to install most things from source (not a
big deal, that's what the FreeBSD ports collection is for). In particular, if
you've installed the ports collection, you can

	cd /usr/ports

and see what's there. INDEX lists all ninethousand-odd ports that are
available. You might

	cd /usr/ports/misc/instant-workstation
	make && make install && make clean

to get things started. I'd suggest

	cd /usr/ports/x11/kde3
	make && make install && make clean

as well, but that's a personal bias.

This will suck down vast quantities of source code and compile it. Probably
successfully (although with KDE, it's problematic due to recent updates that
are needed to build on amd64).

> pkg_add -r cvsup

This brings us to updating. Try to web search for "why is cvsup written in
modula-3". The modula-3 compiler hasn't been ported yet, so cvsup can't be
compiled, and it's a pretty basic part of the infrastructure. I think it was
David who provided a link to a working cvsup package (no GUI). Check the
archives of this list.

As an alternative, if you've got a spare i386 box sitting around, you could
install FreeBSD on that too, and install the i386 cvsup package on it. Then
use that cvsup to update the sources and ports trees (you can share source
and ports trees with NFS).

--
pub  1024D/FEA2A3FE 2002-06-18 Adriaan de Groot <groot at kde.org>
            If the door is ajar, can we fill it with door-jamb?