Packages/Ports problem

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Thu Dec 11 06:01:24 PST 2003

Hello Adriaan,

Thanks for the reply.

Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> Hey Jimmie,
>
> On Wednesday 10 December 2003 21:45, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>
>>My problem is that in the install it fails to get the selected packages.
>>It installs the base and such correctly. I am left with a bootable
>>system, but no XFree86 and other stuff.
>
> As you may have noticed, there probably aren't many (any?) amd64 packages
> available. This means you'll have to install most things from source (not a
> big deal, that's what the FreeBSD ports collection is for). In particular, if
> you've installed the ports collection, you can
>
> 	cd /usr/ports
>
> and see what's there. INDEX lists all ninethousand-odd ports that are
> available. You might
>
> 	cd /usr/ports/misc/instant-workstation
> 	make && make install && make clean
>
> to get things started. I'd suggest
>
> 	cd /usr/ports/x11/kde3
> 	make && make install && make clean
>
> as well, but that's a personal bias.

Oh no, KDE? On my server?
There goes lean and mean. ;)

Okay. Thanks for the above info.

I have been using Gentoo Linux for a couple of years on my desktop.
Maybe not for long. FreeBSD is looking pretty sweet. :)

It is also source based. But it has a Python program called emerge for
its system called portage which handles make, install and dependencies.

The above should get me going.

Is there any way to tell what all will get installed when I make
something? Or do I need to take care of dependencies myself?
I'm used to Debian and Gentoo and not familiar with how FreeBSD handles
dependencies and such.

> This will suck down vast quantities of source code and compile it. Probably
> successfully (although with KDE, it's problematic due to recent updates that
> are needed to build on amd64).
>
>>pkg_add -r cvsup
>
> This brings us to updating. Try to web search for "why is cvsup written in
> modula-3". The modula-3 compiler hasn't been ported yet, so cvsup can't be
> compiled, and it's a pretty basic part of the infrastructure. I think it was
> David who provided a link to a working cvsup package (no GUI). Check the
> archives of this list.

Peter has cvsup-without-gui on his FreeBSD site.
I just haven't been able to get it.
To my understanding I currently only have the ftp program on my machine.
I don't know how to use it to get the package.

After I make the above I'll make wget if it wasn't done already and
fetch Peter's cvsup-without-gui.

> As an alternative, if you've got a spare i386 box sitting around, you could
> install FreeBSD on that too, and install the i386 cvsup package on it. Then
> use that cvsup to update the sources and ports trees (you can share source
> and ports trees with NFS).

Well I have an Athlon 700mhz desktop, which I am considerig switching to
FreeBSD after I move some data off of the spare drive.

Can FreeBSD read from a Linux ReiserFS partition to copy my /home dir
over to a fresh FreeBSD install?

These machines are currently on a LAN but not after I finish development.

Thanks for the help and all the suggestions.

Jimmie Houchin