5.0-RELEASE disklabel install problems, drive not seen

Dan Williams dan at bigw.org
Sun Apr 20 19:13:51 PDT 2003

Hi,

I've been stuck at 4.6.2 for a while, due to a number of problems.  I'd
love to upgrade to 5.0, but its got issues.  For reference, I'm using
an AS 1000A 5/400, 1GB RAM, 2 x 2GB Seagate drives in SBB carriers.
Summary of install problems:

4.7 install:

4.7 changed _something_ in the isp driver which rendered the system
inoperable.  Upon booting, and getting to the "Waiting 15 seconds for
SCSI devices to settle..." message, after about 10 seconds a large
number of error messages from the ISP driver would forever scroll down
the screen.  There was NO way to install 4.7 on my system since it
never even got to the install screen when booting from CD.  I attempted
to build a 4.7 kernel, which was successful, but upon booting the 4.7
kernel, the same problem occurred.

5.0 install:

I replaced one of the 2.1GB drives with an IBM DDRS 34560 4 GB U/W
drive.  For whatever reason, the FAULT light on the SBB carrier was
always on, and FreeBSD 5.0 install could not see the drive in
disklabel.  However, AlphaBIOS could see the drive and format it, if I
booted AlphaBIOS from the SRM console.

I then tried a Quantum Atlas 10k drive, which I pulled working from a
Mac, and connected that in place of the IBM.  This drive did NOT have
the fault light on, and indeed is in all respects _normal_ like the
first 2.1GB that's always been in the box.  I booted the 5.0 install
but this drive was _NOT_ seen in disklabel.

Next, I booted my 4.6.2 install CD set.  Now, without _any_ change
whatsoever to the drive or carrier, the Atlas is seen in disklabel!!!
How come this isn't the case for 5.0?

One thing to note is that I think my isp chip NVRAM might be invalid,
but back with 4.7 I had tried booting with the option to ignore/replace
invalid isp NVRAM, and that did not help.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan