Advocacy on ZDNet

Charon charon at cimbali.dssrg.curtin.edu.au
Tue Mar 30 04:47:47 PST 2004

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 01:42:25PM +0200, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:

> I'm sorry, but you're totally full of shit.

	You and I both know this guy is full of shit but I can't come
	out and say that. Abusive ad hominem is the weakest possible
	way of dealing with this kind of FUD. Look at whats happening
	in c.o.l.a. and the bsd section of slashdot and you will see
	what I mean. Leave AH to the Linux guys - it demonstrates how
	polarized these groups have become and devalues their arguments
	and the forums they inhabit.

> Additionally, unless you're contributing code, don't say things like
> this unless you're willing to take these things up. Want to get SMP
> support ``enterprise ready'' (as you term it per buzzwords)? DIY.

	DIY is not something a business or new user wants to hear. Its
	fine in forums like this but in the zdnet case the target
	audience is just going to take this as a sign that FreeBSD
	as a whole is in some sense incomplete or inferior.

> found on Slashdot. The submitter obviously has no idea what he's talking
> about.
> Research before you open your mouth and make yourself look like a fool.

	The trick is to convince the zdnet readers of that in a way
	that doesnt require going into OS details. As far as the audience
	is concerned hes a tech making a valid point.