Advocacy on ZDNet

Devon H. O'Dell dodell at sitetronics.com
Tue Mar 30 03:46:01 PST 2004

Charon wrote:
> Anyone care to comment on this at www.zdnet.com.au
>
> 	To anonymous FreeBSD user.
>
> 	Due to its licence, FreeBSD cannot become an enterprise platform
> 	from the vendor's perspective. They all fear heavy proprietisation
> 	and forking of any non-GPL codebase.
>

> 	The only OS that can fly to where the Open Source world wants it to
> 	fly is Linux, FreeBSD is now 5+ years behind in terms of enterprise
> 	readiness. Please keep up with the times and avoid this whole OS
> 	pissing contest thing.
>
> 	Remember, we're not talking single-CPU internet servers anymore.
> 	FreeBSD cannot scale to 64 CPUs nor does it have the hardware support
> 	necessary to breach the enterprise space.

My comment:

I'm sorry, but you're totally full of shit.

You've obviously not looked at the amount of LARGE companies that use
FreeBSD. These include Yahoo, Juniper, NASA and MANY others.

Additionally, unless you're contributing code, don't say things like
this unless you're willing to take these things up. Want to get SMP
support ``enterprise ready'' (as you term it per buzzwords)? DIY.

FreeBSD 5.x can and will scale on servers with multiple CPUs. If there's
a problem with hardware, get specifications. If you can't due to
whatever reason, DIY. If you can't do it, shut up and use something
else. The FBSD developers are already busy doing MANY other things to
make FBSD a better operating system and environment for multiple
applications.

Additionally, I think that companies should APPRECIATE the BSD license
_MORE_ than the GPL for ``proprietary'' drivers. It allows them to
release code should they wish, but to also keep their own development
closed.

This post ranks all the way up there with the *BSD is Dead trolls to be
found on Slashdot. The submitter obviously has no idea what he's talking
about.

My suggestion:

Research before you open your mouth and make yourself look like a fool.

My summary:

A favorite quote from flynn in #FreeBSD on Freenode: ``Send patches or
shut up.''

Kind regards,

Devon H. O'Dell