FreeBSD Most wanted

Vulpes Velox kitbsdlists at HotPOP.com
Fri Mar 5 16:49:43 PST 2004

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:39:41 -0800
John Martinez <rolnif at mac.com> wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2004, at 2:26 PM, Daniela wrote:
>
> > I see that a lot of people nowadays are fiddling around with video
> > and graphics processing, DVD ripping and the like.
>
> Oh, you're talking about everything I use Mac OS X for. Things like
> iTunes, Final Cut, Photoshop and the like?
>
> I love FreeBSD, but the applications it runs need a little catching
> up to do if it wants to compete with its cousin. On that sort of
> desktop, anyway.

LOL, for home use... not really...

For video, avidemux2 handles simple tasks very nicely... When it comes
to DVD ripping, it hard beat mplayer and the like... Or if you want
something simpler there is dvdrip...

For images there is gimp-devel and cinepaint, both work nicely for
home use... I honestly can't think of any advantages, other than
apparent commercial support...

For itunes? what part do you want? exporting? well we can do that far
bloody better... nfs, smb, and then there is some awesome streaming
stuff some where too, forget where... The part where it begins to fall
apart is in the area organizing and cataloging... that still requires
a bit of manual intervention when it comes to moving stuff... For
audio ripping, there is grip...