Pkgsrc lecture, BSD lecture, and BSD booth at LinuxFestNorthwest, April 17

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Tue Apr 20 20:44:16 PDT 2004

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> How did you get Bellingham Technical College to provide you a free
> hall ? (Others of us could maybe learn & do similar in other parts
> of the  world ?  Did you get a sponsor ?  Reason I ask is I've been
> long hoping to do a BSD conference in Munich Germany sometime, but
> the local Universities want lots of money, & as soon as money raises
> it's head, it's a nightmare: got to collect it, secure it, pay it
> to halls & maybe speakers expenses, & levy sales tax on admission
> fees, not make a profit or loss, all a right pain !

I don't have all the details, but you are free to join the
http://www.peakserv.com/mailman/listinfo/fest-list/ list and discuss
there.

I believe one person from the local users group is on the faculty of the
college.

They started as a small event, but by third year had over 300
attend and the fourth and fifth years had over 1000 attend.

I know what you mean about finding a facility. I hope to do a BSD
conference in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle, Washington, USA area). I
have found one company that said they have a facility we could use. If
anyone wants to help, we do have a mailing list to discuss. (Let me know
off-list.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/