Redhat 6.1 and 7895 chipset

Simon Gornall simon at unique-id.com
Thu Nov 25 03:51:41 PST 1999

Has anyone had any troubles with the AIC7895 chip (on the
supermicro P6DBS motherboard) ?

I'm not sure it's the SCSI support that's my problem, but
just in case...

hardware: 2xP3-450, 256Mb SDRAM, 9Gb Seagate UW drive,
          no IDE disk.

I installed linux from the 6.1 CD, and it installed fine.
Worked for about 2 hours, and then kernel faulted. After
that no matter what I tried, it kernel faulted in the
install process (!) This happened when the partitions
were being formatted. The ALT-F3 screen said 'Auto Split
partition failed' (or similar message)

I tried removing a CPU, changing the memory, changing the
SCSI disk (39175LW) for another identical one. Nothing
worked.

I was wondering (yes I know this is silly, given that Dave
works at Redhat) whether the 7895 is supported fully in
the 6.1 distribution ? Should I install onto IDE then
patch the driver or something ?

Perhaps it's a broken motherboard - the 'worked once then
not again' is sort of pushing me in that direction - a
heat-dependent problem perhaps

I'm getting a bit desperate - it's taken 3 days to install
a machine I thought was going to take 3 hours, and it's
supposed to be working by tomorrow :-(