aic7xxx and WangDAT 3200

Doug Palmer dougal at acm.org
Tue Nov 23 19:11:53 PST 1999

This is a solution, rather than a question. Posted for anyone who runs
into the same trouble.

I have an AHA-2940U2W SCSI controller and had a WangDAT 3200 tape drive
attached. During boot, the tape drive was identified as being the same
as my hard disk drive. This then led the scsi drivers to try and read
the tape as a disk, to its eternal confusion.

It turns out that the firmware of the tape drive needs to be ugraded (to
version 30M in the case of my drive). The firmware upgrade can be
downloaded from www.tecmar.com. Once this is done, the tape drive is
identified correctly.

Thanks to Doug Ledford for finding the solution for me.

--
Doug Palmer   TARMS
WWW: http://users.orac.net.au/~doug
mail: doug at tarms.com, dougal at acm.org