Unresponsive system

Mattias Sandgren mattias at leif.silicon.nu
Tue Nov 2 06:24:03 PST 1999

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Doug Ledford wrote:

> Mattias Sandgren wrote:
>
> > What is the problem with the Fireball disk?!
>
> It's a Fireball disk.  Nothing more need be said.  Those disks are so slow
> that even with massive numbers of them in RAID0 arrays they are still slow.
> Hell, the SCSI Fireball disks are slower than the IDE Fireball disks....

OK, I get the picture. ;^)
First of all I want to apologise for sending multiple copies of my mail to the
list. I kept getting replies from the server that it bounced.  This has
happened on my server as well when I had a misconfigured sendmail after an
update but this seems different.

Anyway your reply made some question marks pop-up.
Why is it that the system is slow just when writing and not while reading?
It doesn't kill the system (while writing nor reading) when used in the other
operating $y$tem (NT&98).

I've set up a Linux web/mail/ftp server using an ATA 1GB Fireball some time ago
but that machine is very usable compared to mine while writing. ATA interface
and a Pentium 200 MMX is a very different hardware configuration but still...

I'm moving my system to the IBM Ultrastar disks as soon as possible, I can't
stand having the system beeing as unresponsive as it is with the Fireball disk.

Regards
 Mattias

--
Mattias Sandgren - mailto:sagge at acc.umu.se http://www.acc.umu.se/~sagge
Computer Science and Engineering Student - University of Umea, Sweden.