IWILL BS100 (AIC7895) don't boot.

Peter Knoblach Peter.Knoblach at gmx.de
Tue Nov 2 14:42:22 PST 1999

Hi,

I have the same board and the same problem:

Cabling and termination are checked a thousand times and are ok.

<...>

> I had success to boot the system from a 2.0.34 kernel diskette (build

> from the 2.0.34 kernel, taken from Debian 2.1r3)

Yes this is the last kernel that works fine. (I think its aic7xxx 5.1.0)

> I was unable to boot the system from a 2.0.36 kernel diskette (build

> from the 2.0.34 kernel, taken from Debian 2.1r3)

So am I.

Beginning with this kernel I am not able to get an working system.

Sooner or later it goes in a loop prompting the following :

(scsi0:-1:-1:-1) Referenced SCB 255 not valid during SELTO.

SCSISEQ = 0x5a SEQADDR = 0x7 STATO =0x10 SSTAT1 = 0x88

(scsi0:-1:-1:-1) Referenced SCB 255 not valid during SELTO.

SCSISEQ = 0x5a SEQADDR = 0x8 STATO =0x10 SSTAT1 = 0x88

.....never ending

> I had success to boot from a custom 2.2.1 kernel diskette.

Do you have the mother board CD? This is a bootable disk

with a linux kernel (something about 2.1.xxx). But no change

to get a shell.

On iwill's homepage I get the newest Bios Update. This includes

an update of the scsi bios (2.2 if I remember). With the

SuSE 6.2 boot disk (kernel 2.2.10) I can boot and partition

the disks. But when the install tool wants to mount the formatted

partitions the system freezes and the same messages appears.

Interesting: since the bios update the scsi speed changes.

With the old scsi bios the uw disks run on 40 MB/s with the 2.0.34

kernel. Now the driver prompts something about 11.3 MB/s or so with

the same kernel!? (The settings of the Adaptec BIOS are the same as

they are before updating the bios).

- I wonder if this problem is specific for the iwill board or

the aic7895?

- Are there anyone who had the same problems and was able to solve

them?

- what changes were made in the aic7xxx-code since 2.0.34 and 2.0.35?

Any help would by great.

Thanks

Peter Knoblach