Adaptec 2842 VLB, aic7xxx and zip-drive

Steve Brueggeman stevebr at primenet.com
Wed Mar 25 05:12:00 PST 1998

5.0.9 patch is still no-go for me either.

Had time to do a little more experimenting, (very little).

It's appears that it's only when I set the BIOS for my tape to WIDE that the
boot fails.  If I set my Sync for 40MB (Tape negotiates to 5Mhz), but no WIDE,
it still boots, but have noticed a difference between aic7xxx-4.1.1 and
aic7xxx-5.0.x.

The offset value reported at boot time for my tape was 15 with ver 4.1.1, but is
8 for ver 5.0.8.  I do not know what the Adaptec handels, and I still have not
gotten the SCSI trace to see what everybody's asking for here.  Just wondering
if the offset byte of the period/offset pair returned by the tape is getting
dropped off, or if it's an indication that I have a naughty tape, and it's
returning an offset of 15, even though it was asked to do 8.

Also, driver 4.1.1 states that the Tape is "Refusing WIDE negotiation; using 8
bit transfers".  I take this to mean that the tape is responding with reject, as
you stated.

Ah, the rub, one reject MSG for whole DISC/PERD/OFST/WIDTH negotiation sequence.
(?Right?) I should get a SCSI bus trace.  SCSI does have it's bad side.  Then
again, maybe not.

Then again it could mean nothing.

I have not tried driver versions 5.0.0 through 5.0.7 (yet?).

I should probably add that I have a pretty loaded SCSI bus, for operating at
Ultra-1 speeds (6 Ultra-Wide drives, AND 1 narrow tape, on about 2.5 feet of
cable, 3" between devices, using 2049UW to convert to Narrow bus for Tape).  I
appear to be able to operate at Ultra-1 speeds on all of my drives OK though,
and tape appears to operate well, so I have not considered this as a problem.
Just one of those random considerations that float through when things aren't
working.

Plenty willing to do experimentation at your command.

Thanks for looking into this!!!

Steve Brueggeman.