Adaptec Fast-Wide & IBM DHFS Drive

Eric Geyer corduroy at sfo.com
Sun Sep 28 12:14:47 PDT 1997

On 28-Sep-97 yuri mironoff wrote:

>  This may be kinda vague but I had a similar problem with an IBM DFMS
>drive - timeouts, etc. I found my answer in some SCSI FAQ on the IBM
>web site. Its been a long time - but from what I remember one section
>of a FAQ said something about installing their drives under unix systems.
>The gist of it was to disable one of the negotiation option jumpers on
>the drive itself - I dont remember what it was but I think the option
>name started with "Initiate ...". Check it out it may be worth it, since
>the drive wouldn't work properly without this.

from this IBM web page:
http://www.storage.ibm.com/techsup/hddtech/dfhs/dfhsjum.htm

Disable T.I. sync negotiation pin

If a Disable Target Initiated Synchronous Negotiation pin is grounded then an
Initiator is required to start a negotiation handshake if
Synchronous and/or "Wide" (Double Byte) SCSI transfers are desired. Please
refer to the DFHS Interface Specification for more details on
this feature.

This may indeed be the problem, if I read this correctly.  Anyway, it is the
fourth jumper pair from the right end of the large jumper block - the web page
has lots of pictures.

Eric Geyer
corduroy at sfo.com