Wi-Fi: netif restart wlan0: name resolution: dhclient

From: Graham Perrin <grahamperrin_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 18:48:48 UTC
On 12/09/2022 11:35, David Wolfskill wrote:

>> ... The name resolution problem was with DHCP.
> Right -- re-connecting (e.g., via "service netif restart wlan0") should
> be starting "dhclient wlan0". ...

I'm as certain as I can be that dhclient does run.

(I would have noticed the absence of an IP address in output from
ifconfig wlan0.)

So, if /etc/resolv.conf (a) lacked what was required following those
things, then (b) was OK following a reboot of the OS: what might be the
explanation for (a)?

Privately, I received hints such as this:

> You can run:
> tcpdump -i wlan0 -s 0 -vvv port 67 or 68
> to watch the DHCP dialog and see what your server is sending.
-- useful for the future, but I'm now faraway from the home router where
FreeBSD behaved strangely.