Re: Starting Wayland

From: Gerard E. Seibert <jerry_at_seibercom.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 11:59:52 UTC
On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 06:55:24 -0400, Gerard E. Seibert stated:
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 21:35:33 -0400, Kurt Hackenberg stated:
> > On Fri, Apr 26, 2024 at 07:56:13AM -0400, Gerard E. Seibert wrote:
> >
> > >Unfortunately, "kld_list=i915kms.ko" causes my system to lock up
> > >when starting up....I did install the
> > >"graphics/drm-kmod-20220907_3" port. I compiled it using
> > >poudriere.
> >
> > That's the package version of the meta-port.  Did that compile and
> > install the port drm-515-kmod?  (For FreeBSD 14.)  That's the key
> > -- you have to compile and install the kernel module.
> >
> > I do that without poudriere, just cd into the port directory[1] and
> > run "make install".  I did that the other day, for about the same
> > problem you have: I upgraded 13.2 to 13.3, installed the DRM kmod
> > package, it panicked during boot.  I deleted that package, compiled
> > and installed it from the port (drm-510-kmod for 13), and that
> > worked.  I'm typing this on that system now.
> >

> > [1] For FreeBSD 14, /usr/ports/graphics/drm-515-kmod.  In FreeBSD
> > 14, portsnap is gone, so /usr/ports has to be the git repository.
> >

> That module is present, and I have tried loading it several times,
> both kld_list and kldload. From kldload I get this error message:
>
> 	iic0: <12C generic I/O> on iicbus0
>
> The system totally locks up. The only way I have found to recover is
> to manually shut the PC down, aka 'off-switch'.
>
> I am seriously about ready to call it quits on this project. I have
> already invested way more time than its worth.
>
> --
> Jerry

I used 'cpu-x' to gather some information on my system.

'cpu-x' identified my CPU as:

Code Name:	Alder Lake-S (Core i7)
Model:		AlderLake-S GT1 graphics
Specification:	12th Gen Intel(R) Core i7-12700

Graphics:

AlderLake-S GT1

So it seems that my CPU/Graphiscs may not even be supported on FreeBSD
14.

--
Jerry