Re: Starting Wayland

From: Gerard E. Seibert <jerry_at_seibercom.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 10:55:24 UTC
On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 21:35:33 -0400, Kurt Hackenberg stated:
> On Fri, Apr 26, 2024 at 07:56:13AM -0400, Gerard E. Seibert wrote:
>
> >Unfortunately, "kld_list=i915kms.ko" causes my system to lock up when
> >starting up....I did install the "graphics/drm-kmod-20220907_3"
> >port. I compiled it using poudriere.
>
> That's the package version of the meta-port.  Did that compile and
> install the port drm-515-kmod?  (For FreeBSD 14.)  That's the key --
> you have to compile and install the kernel module.
>
> I do that without poudriere, just cd into the port directory[1] and
> run "make install".  I did that the other day, for about the same
> problem you have: I upgraded 13.2 to 13.3, installed the DRM kmod
> package, it panicked during boot.  I deleted that package, compiled
> and installed it from the port (drm-510-kmod for 13), and that
> worked.  I'm typing this on that system now.
>

> [1] For FreeBSD 14, /usr/ports/graphics/drm-515-kmod.  In FreeBSD 14,
> portsnap is gone, so /usr/ports has to be the git repository.

That module is present, and I have tried loading it several times,
both kld_list and kldload. From kldload I get this error message:

	iic0: <12C generic I/O> on iicbus0

The system totally locks up. The only way I have found to recover is to
manually shut the PC down, aka 'off-switch'.

I am seriously about ready to call it quits on this project. I have
already invested way more time than its worth.

--
Jerry