Re: Starting Wayland

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 23:11:18 UTC
On Saturday, 27 April 2024 at  7:59:52 -0400, Gerard E. Seibert wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 06:55:24 -0400, Gerard E. Seibert stated:
>> On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 21:35:33 -0400, Kurt Hackenberg stated:
>>> [1] For FreeBSD 14, /usr/ports/graphics/drm-515-kmod.  In FreeBSD
>>> 14, portsnap is gone, so /usr/ports has to be the git repository.
>>
>> That module is present, and I have tried loading it several times,
>> both kld_list and kldload. From kldload I get this error message:
>>
>> 	iic0: <12C generic I/O> on iicbus0
>>
>> The system totally locks up. The only way I have found to recover is
>> to manually shut the PC down, aka 'off-switch'.

This is a bug, whether or not the module is correct for your machine.
If you haven't done so already, you should check the bug reports at
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/query.cgi and add a report if it
isn't already there.  It would help to boot with verbose options.
This should give more information even if you (try to) load the module
later.

> I used 'cpu-x' to gather some information on my system.
>
> 'cpu-x' identified my CPU as:
>
> Code Name:	Alder Lake-S (Core i7)
> Model:		AlderLake-S GT1 graphics
> Specification:	12th Gen Intel(R) Core i7-12700
>
> Graphics:
>
> AlderLake-S GT1

It would be good to see what the system reports on boot.  That will be
in /var/run/dmesg.boot, and it, too, will be more detailed if you boot
with the -v option.

> So it seems that my CPU/Graphiscs may not even be supported on
> FreeBSD 14.

That will be easier to determine with complete dmesg output.

Greg
Sent from my desktop computer.
reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA.php