Re: Why are the package updates so slow?

From: <iio7_at_tutanota.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 21:59:18 UTC
Oct 30, 2022, 08:44 by gspurki@gmail.com:

> On 10/30/22 08:21, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 30 Oct 2022 00:54:04 +0200 (CEST)
>> iio7@tutanota.com wrote:
>>
>>> I know that in this example, it's not an important update, but as I
>>> understand it, the FreeBSD build machines are running Poudriere and as
>>> such, packages get updated automatically.
>>>
>>> Why doesn't this happen more often?
>>>
>> There are a lot of packages, it takes a long time to build them and
>> sometimes builds fail. For anything more detailed you'll need to talk to
>> the folks who run the builds.
>>
> Or have a look here:
>
> https://pkg-status.freebsd.org/

This is interesting.

By comparison, Arch Linux has 13592 packages. Even though this is a
little under half as much, they get binary updates out daily.

Debian has, in unstable, 167965 packages! Which - if you run unstable -
also get daily updates.

How is this then done differently? If a FreeBSD machine fails to build
one or more packages, does that halt the entire process on that
machine, or does the succesfully build packages at least get pushed so
that they can be downloaded?

Running FreeBSD packages with the "latest" repo just doesn't compare,
it's so slow to get updates by comparison. This is not rating or
complaining, I want to understand why there is such a big difference.

Thanks.

Kind regards.