Re: Why are the package updates so slow?

From: Gökşin_Akdeniz <goksin.akdeniz_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 22:38:19 UTC

31.10.2022 00:59 tarihinde iio7@tutanota.com yazdı:

> By comparison, Arch Linux has 13592 packages. Even though this is a
> little under half as much, they get binary updates out daily.

I do have limited information how Arch packages are built. As far as I
know multiple repos exists for arch and all process is similar to Debian
package building.

> Debian has, in unstable, 167965 packages! Which - if you run unstable -
> also get daily updates.

Debian packages are build by Debian developers and maintainers. So when
a package is built by a maintainer or a develeoper, it is uploaded to
server. Server only update repo information on regular basis. There are
no package building process running on Debian servers.

> How is this then done differently? If a FreeBSD machine fails to build
> one or more packages, does that halt the entire process on that
> machine, or does the succesfully build packages at least get pushed so
> that they can be downloaded?

FreeBSD packages are built by dedicated servers. It is a better way of
managing build options compared to "bring your own packages". Running
arch with "aur" repose are more likley to fail due to main repo where AQ
is under control. Debian testing and usnstable branches has issuses like
Arch due to change in a shared lib or upstream changes. Both changes
generate new bugs or broken packages in a way or other. So, migrating
from unstable to testing is not as quick and easy as it looks. Ypu can
argue that both wors. They do as long as maintainer and eveloper runs
the same config and all build process runs without an error. I had some
bug isuses with both Arch and Debian, I am not fond of both but due to a
couple of customers demand them. Those bugs crippled customers servers
and finally I persuaded them to dump and migrate tp FreeBSD and OpenBSD
where packages are more likely not to fail and work as intended.

> Running FreeBSD packages with the "latest" repo just doesn't compare,
> it's so slow to get updates by comparison. This is not rating or
> complaining, I want to understand why there is such a big difference.

If you want to get latest packages here is a simple solution:

To build selected packages from latest ports tree set up poudriere. You
can customize the build options. Ypu can run a package server or a
package jail, which ever suits you. You can install and upgrade packages
with pkg either from local directory or set up a standalone server to
serve packages over network.

Hope it clears.