Re: freebsd on an ebook ereader ?

From: Mario Marietto <marietto2008_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 18:46:36 UTC
Hello Tomek.

---> In a perfect world we could focus on RISC-V based devices.

I don't know any RISC-V based devices. Please give me some examples.

---> it lags behind Linux on new hardware (most likely multimedia capable
embedded systems).

What's the minimum desktop environment that can be used if we want to
install FreeBSD on an old phone ? Are there any old phones based on RISC-V ?

---> Problem here is that most people think that Open-Source is Linux, but
it's the opposite, Linux is a part of the big Open-Source world.

How do you plan to come back with the money needed to adapt FreeBSD to make
it work on an old phone if the FreeBSD code is based on a license that's
even more open than the GPL ? Where will you get the money to develop it ?

---> Vendors provide drivers only for Linux, sometimes in a binary blob
fashion.

I imagine that here,first of all,you should develop a software strate that
will work as an intermediate between FreeBSD and the linux drivers,so that
they will be accepted by the first one. The market can't be changed so fast
that the big companies will start to produce drivers for FreeBSD natively
massively.

---> People are interested only in things that work out of the box.

it's not totally true. During the years Linux became more and more popular
even if,at the beginning,it didn't work out of the box. It only means that
it needs more time to be accessible,due to the fact that it is technically
more advanced than Windows. Today Linux is not ready for the mobile
market,yet. But it will be. This is happening. It means that the license
model is working well. If the industries wanted to invest money for
creating even small devices with Linux inside,it is good enough. What about
the FreeBSD license ? The fact that it is even more open,it is better or
not for the spreading of small devices on the market,based on FreeBSD ?

--
Mario.