Re: freebsd on an ebook ereader ?

From: Tomek CEDRO <tomek_at_cedro.info>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 20:29:48 UTC
On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 8:47 PM Mario Marietto wrote:
> Hello Tomek.
> ---> In a perfect world we could focus on RISC-V based devices.
> I don't know any RISC-V based devices. Please give me some examples.

RISC-V is the future of computing hardware Open-Source CPU
specification that gets more and more traction around the world
starting from tiny MCU like ESP32-C3 or ESP32-C6 (WiFi and BLE
capable), along with dedicated IC for mass storage controllers (used
by WD and Seagate for instance), along with OS capable running devices
(more powerful than rPI), ending up at highly experimental designs
that you can run yourself on FPGA and will serve to design 1000 core
CPU, neural networks accelerators, building satellites and space ship
onboard systems, 128-bit+ architectures, etc etc.

RISC-V as Open-Source design has no boundaries, no limitations, is no
subject to politics and no single group of influence/interest. Due to
lack of restrictive licensing resulting MCU/CPU chip is a lot cheaper
and thus accessible (i.e. ESP32-C3 RISC-V BLE and WiFi MCU cost around
$0.6/piece compared to $3/piece ARM Cortex-M0+ with BLE and no WiFi
and a magnitude smaller memory).

We may not fix the past but we can prepare for the future :-)

https://riscv.org/about/

https://riscv.org/exchanges/boards/

https://riscv.org/risc-v-developer-boards/

https://www.sifive.com/boards