Re: freebsd on an ebook ereader ?

From: Tomek CEDRO <tomek_at_cedro.info>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 14:53:59 UTC
On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 4:35 PM Warner Losh wrote:
> On Thu, May 11, 2023, 8:26 AM Mario Marietto wrote:
>> I'm not aware of anyone running non-Linux on semi-modern hardware :
>> thats the challenge. To find the right device to experiment with. Im not talking about some soc,but about a finished and already working tablet or phone.
>
> So what's the easiest one to run linux on that's not x86?

Download SD card image, put that image on a card, insert card to a
hardware, have it running.. and that is for many many various kind of
devices most likely each requiring a dedicated set of drivers ;-)

The problem we face right now on FreeBSD  it lags behind Linux on a
new hardware (most likely multimedia capable embedded systems). In a
perfect world we could focus on RISC-V based devices and provide out
of the box running solutions that would attract people to FreeBSD and
maybe help in development. People could see the advantages of BSD and
consider investing their time and effort in development of a long term
maintainable solution instead quick-win-and-chase-the-rabbit-forever.

Problem here is that most people think that Open-Source is Linux, but
its the opposite, Linux is a part of big Open-Source world. Vendors
provide drivers only for Linux, sometimes in a binary blob fashion.
Developing drivers takes time and skill.. also requires good
documentation that sometimes its not even available. People are
interested only in things that work out of the box.