Re: Crypto Donations (was: Re: What is the status of the FreeBSD development process now?)

From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek_at_puchar.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 14:56:35 UTC
>> [...]
>> Unfortunately FreeBSD still does not
>> accept any donations via cryptocurrency.
>> Nor has FreeBSD community yet participated in any
>> crypto crowd funded code dev/bug/doc etc bounties.
>> The world is moving there, others are already making
>> good use of them, best get on that, have fun :)
> Honestly, this seems to me simply to be good policy on the part of
> the foundation (not accepting donations via crypto).  There's no
> apparent benefit as far as I can see, and the extreme volatility of
> all existing cryptocurrencies by itself strikes me as an excellent
> reason to continue the current policy.                    -- George

Why? Accept and instantly change to something else.

Let's clear things up.

Crypto currencies are really worth nothing. Just people do believe they
are worth something. It represent no real value.

Classic currencies are really worth nothing. Just people do believe they
are worth something. It represent value equal heat of combustion - if you
have papers. Or zero if just in bank.

The only difference is that classic currencies are enforced by law. Crypto
are not.

So you shouldn't differentiate, just then convert to currency or some
other good you need. To avoid risks - do it at the day when crypto
currency is transferred.