Re: Crypto Donations (was: Re: What is the status of the FreeBSD development process now?)

From: Karl Denninger <karl_at_denninger.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 15:00:57 UTC
On 11/4/2022 10:56, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Unfortunately FreeBSD still does not
>>> accept any donations via cryptocurrency.
>>> Nor has FreeBSD community yet participated in any
>>> crypto crowd funded code dev/bug/doc etc bounties.
>>> The world is moving there, others are already making
>>> good use of them, best get on that, have fun :)
>> Honestly, this seems to me simply to be good policy on the part of
>> the foundation (not accepting donations via crypto).  There's no
>> apparent benefit as far as I can see, and the extreme volatility of
>> all existing cryptocurrencies by itself strikes me as an excellent
>> reason to continue the current policy.                    -- George
>>

> Why? Accept and instantly change to something else.
>
> Let's clear things up.
>
> Crypto currencies are really worth nothing. Just people do believe
> they are worth something. It represent no real value.
>
> Classic currencies are really worth nothing. Just people do believe
> they are worth something. It represent value equal heat of combustion
> - if you have papers. Or zero if just in bank.
>
> The only difference is that classic currencies are enforced by law.
> Crypto are not.
>
> So you shouldn't differentiate, just then convert to currency or some
> other good you need. To avoid risks - do it at the day when crypto
> currency is transferred.

IMHO this is at its foundation a political statement; one who has crypto
something and wishes to donate to FreeBSD can trivially exchange it for
"classic currency" and donate the classic currency.   Indeed you
so-state in your first line in that there is no reason the person who
wishes to make the donation cannot simply remove the entire point of
debate by "instantly changing it to something else", in this case dollars.

One thing I do like about FreeBSD is that it has mostly stayed out of
said political debates, which is IMHO a good thing.

--
Karl Denninger
karl@denninger.net