Re: VirtualBox Remote Instance

From: Sysadmin Lists <sysadmin.lists_at_mailfence.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 22:33:18 UTC
> From: Derek Schrock <dereks@lifeofadishwasher.com>
> FYI, pkg info has -x that will allow you to filter packages from the
> regex pattern given to -x:
>
>   pkg info -x virtualbox

Thanks. I know `pkg' has a ton of aliases and features, but using them often enough to remember them when they're useful is another story. That awk code is useful in a wide range of situations. I use `awk' to grep more often than I use `grep' to grep.

grep virtualbox == awk '/virtualbox/'

> This sounds as if it's an issue with the local X server running or
> you're just not waiting long enough for the Qt window to appear.  For
> example trying to run xterm via a VPN back to from home machine over the
> Internet takes ~10 seconds.  Is this running X11 Forwarding via a local
> LAN or WAN?  If WAN give it more time?  If you gave it enough time I'd
> guess it's back to the local X server.

LAN. I've let it sit there for close to 10-minutes before and nothing changed. It's not a time-out or timing issue.

> I might recommend using net/xrdp instead of X11 Forwarding or use
> www/phpvirtualbox with VNC if you need console access.

Since it's on a LAN, I've been using unsecured VNC connections just fine. It's a good workaround, but not a solution.

> I've seen too many issues over the past couple years with applications
> not working correctly via X11 Forwarding to just stop using it other
> than simple applications.

If it's affecting that many applications, perhaps freebsd-questions@ has seen this problem before and can suggest a potential fix.

Thanks for looking into it.

--