Re: smr inp breaks some jail use cases and panics with i915kms don't switch to the console anymore

From: Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 10:14:24 UTC
On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 09:14:27AM +0100, Emmanuel Vadot wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 07:11:28 +0000 Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> > Oh, you know, it's about steadily deteriorating quality of our gfx
> > stack once we had started pulling things from Linux.
>
> Right.
> That just proves that you know nothing and will just complain on
> everything "new".

I know that I had problemless desktop some 10-5 years ago, okayish
desktop ~three years ago, tolerable experience with 4.16.x DRM bits
and shitty one with current 5.4.x (FWIW, 5.x had been problematic
for me since the beginning, but previously it was fairly easy to
build drm-fbsd12.0-kmod on -CURRENT to avoid regressions, now the
source bases had divered too far enough; it's probably still possible
to patch, but would take longer time).

> We've *always* pulled drm bits from Linux, always.

You know what I've meant.

> > In FreeBSD chat and with less biased poll than the one Warner had posted
> > on Twitter, most people had actually voted against making it off by
> > default: https://t.me/FreeBSD1/25129.
>
> So nothing changes then?

How do you mean?  Most FreeBSD people, not some random Twitter crowd, want
the bell to be on by default, but it's still off.

./danfe