Re: wireguard, was: kernel: Fatal data abort - issue on rpi4

From: Bernhard Froehlich <decke_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 09:39:55 UTC
--
Bernhard Froehlich
https://www.bluelife.at/
 ---- On Wed, 24 Aug 2022 11:29:58 +0200  Marek Soudny  wrote ---
 > Hello,
 > >    I don't use wireguard myself, but if a package includes a kernel
 > > driver you have to be really careful that you keep them in sync.  I run
 > > into this possibility with video drivers (nvidia, radion, etc) all the time.
 >
 > I use GENERIC kernel with freebsd-update and quarterly pkg branch, so
 > everything should be in sync.
 >
 > Anyway, I can confirm that loading if_wg kernel module does not do
 > anything wrong, on it's own. Starting the wireguard service does not do
 > anything wrong either, on it's own. BUT :) As soon as I tried to ping
 > the wireguard interface from another box, my rpi stopped responding
 > without stating why (I was tailing
 > /var/log/{messages,debug.log,daemon.log}) and rebooted itself after (a)
 > few minutes.
 >
 > No idea how to debug this, thou. Anyway, I can reproduce it anytime.
 >
 > BR,
 > Marek

There is no need to waste any more time on this. We have seen this all
already and it's caused because all ports (latest and quarterly branch) for
FreeBSD 13.x are build on 13.0 currently. But because of an ABI break in
13.1 the wireguard kernel module will panic when used.

Your chances are either rebuild the kernel module on 13.1 and it will work
fine or you wait until packages are build on 13.1 which is VERY soon.

FreeBSD 13.0 is EoL in less than a week (August 31, 2022), so official
package builders will switch soon - the next full build will not have that
problem anymore.

--
Bernhard Fröhlich
https://www.bluelife.at/