Re: wireguard, was: kernel: Fatal data abort - issue on rpi4

From: Ronald Klop <ronald-lists_at_klop.ws>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 09:54:37 UTC
On 8/25/22 11:39, Bernhard Froehlich wrote:

> --
> Bernhard Froehlich
> https://www.bluelife.at/
>   ---- On Wed, 24 Aug 2022 11:29:58 +0200  Marek Soudny  wrote ---
>   > Hello,
>   > >    I don't use wireguard myself, but if a package includes a kernel
>   > > driver you have to be really careful that you keep them in sync.  I run
>   > > into this possibility with video drivers (nvidia, radion, etc) all the time.
>   >
>   > I use GENERIC kernel with freebsd-update and quarterly pkg branch, so
>   > everything should be in sync.
>   >
>   > Anyway, I can confirm that loading if_wg kernel module does not do
>   > anything wrong, on it's own. Starting the wireguard service does not do
>   > anything wrong either, on it's own. BUT :) As soon as I tried to ping
>   > the wireguard interface from another box, my rpi stopped responding
>   > without stating why (I was tailing
>   > /var/log/{messages,debug.log,daemon.log}) and rebooted itself after (a)
>   > few minutes.
>   >
>   > No idea how to debug this, thou. Anyway, I can reproduce it anytime.
>   >
>   > BR,
>   > Marek
>
> There is no need to waste any more time on this. We have seen this all
> already and it's caused because all ports (latest and quarterly branch) for
> FreeBSD 13.x are build on 13.0 currently. But because of an ABI break in
> 13.1 the wireguard kernel module will panic when used.
>
> Your chances are either rebuild the kernel module on 13.1 and it will work
> fine or you wait until packages are build on 13.1 which is VERY soon.
>
> FreeBSD 13.0 is EoL in less than a week (August 31, 2022), so official
> package builders will switch soon - the next full build will not have that
> problem anymore.
>
> --
> Bernhard Fröhlich
> https://www.bluelife.at/

To give some perspective to "VERY soon".
Full builds take a long time (as in multiple days). And also uploading all these packages to mirrors takes a considerable amount of time.
My past experience is that if the 13.1 pkg builders start at September 1th the pkg might be available around September 7th.

NB: I'm not part of the pkg builders team, so I'm not aware of the specific plans and dates. Just my empirical 2 cents on this.

Regards,
Ronald.