Re: Oversimplification

From: Peter Jeremy via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 06:20:13 UTC
On 2021-May-30 17:49:01 -0400, George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com> wrote:
>I've never been shy about oversimplifying complex questions, so here
>goes: What's the ARM system that presents the least hassle to a
>prospective FreeBSD user?  Here's what I mean by low hassle:
>
>1. Widely available.
>2. Runs some standard FreeBSD image with minimal (or no) tweaking.
>3. I suspect ARM64 means less hassle than ARM32.
>4. Friendly to an external high-speed (at least USB 3; possibly SATA?)
>    disk.
>5. Hopefully 8GB on-board memory, though 4GB is probably okay if high
>    speed swapping is available (see point 4).
>6. Affordable, but not cheap.

I'll second Milan's followup.  I have a 4GB RockPro64 with the
dual-SATA PCIe card and am quite happy with it.  It also supports
both USB-3 and USB-C, though I haven't experimented with either.

Note that the WiFi/Bluetooth module for the RockPro64 uses SDIO,
and the combination isn't yet supported by FreeBSD.

I also have a BananaPi M1, which has an integral SATA port but I've
never managed to get the SATA to work.

--
Peter Jeremy