Re: Oversimplification

From: Milan Obuch <freebsd-arm_at_dino.sk>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 06:46:47 UTC
On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 16:20:13 +1000, Peter Jeremy via freebsd-arm
<freebsd-arm@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 2021-May-30 17:49:01 -0400, George Mitchell
> <george+freebsd@m5p.com> wrote:
> >I've never been shy about oversimplifying complex questions, so here
> >goes: What's the ARM system that presents the least hassle to a
> >prospective FreeBSD user?  Here's what I mean by low hassle:
> >
> >1. Widely available.
> >2. Runs some standard FreeBSD image with minimal (or no) tweaking.
> >3. I suspect ARM64 means less hassle than ARM32.
> >4. Friendly to an external high-speed (at least USB 3; possibly
> >   SATA?) disk.
> >5. Hopefully 8GB on-board memory, though 4GB is probably okay if high
> >   speed swapping is available (see point 4).
> >6. Affordable, but not cheap.
>
> I'll second Milan's followup. I have a 4GB RockPro64 with the
> dual-SATA PCIe card and am quite happy with it. It also supports
> both USB-3 and USB-C, though I haven't experimented with either.

Just out of curiosity - do you mean SATA card from pine64.org shop? Was
some extra steps required to make it work? Could you share relevant
lines from dmesg output?

> Note that the WiFi/Bluetooth module for the RockPro64 uses SDIO,
> and the combination isn't yet supported by FreeBSD.

Well, it would be nice to get it to working state... no idea how much
work that is.

Regards,
Milan