Re: git: ce348fe5cfc3 - main - amd64 & i386: enable VIMAGE in MINIMAL

From: Gleb Smirnoff <glebius_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 17:58:49 UTC
On Sat, Feb 03, 2024 at 08:59:46AM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
W> Now, I totally get the desire to have a minimal kernel that doesn't have
W> any baggage in it. I totally support that notion. Maybe we need another
W> kernel in the tree to do that. Maybe it should be called MINIMAL since that
W> name makes sense and one of two renamings happen: Either we rename GENERIC
W> to GENERIC-STATIC and MINIMAL to GENERIC, or we rename MINIMAL to MODULAR
W> and have it (eventually) become the new default. Or we need to create a new
W> name that connotes the same things that MINIMAL seems to inspire in people
W> (since the name evokes notions not quite compatible with my original
W> charter for it). I have nothing on good names, though. All the ones I
W> thought of have other issues, though maybe staking out a charter for what's
W> in this config (the absolute smallest that will boot? Or are there a few
W> additional things that are needed).

I'd be happy with either plan:

1) GENERIC -> GENERIC-STATIC or STATIC, MINIMAL -> GENERIC, create new MINIMAL
2) MINIMAL -> MODULAR, create new MINIMAL

We just need at least one supported working kernel without VIMAGE (and
probably other useful stuff, that is not useful to everyone).

--
Gleb Smirnoff