PERFORCE change 63849 for review

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 27 21:34:11 GMT 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Andrew R. Reiter wrote:

> :Change 63849 by rwatson at rwatson_tislabs on 2004/10/27 21:25:02
> :
> :	Use the per-process system call vector rather than the global
> :	vector, in order to permit auditing based on per-vector audit
> :	event types, which may not match the global ones.  E.g., the
> :	FreeBSD system call number for open() is not the same as the
> :	Linux one.
>
> Thanks

Someone will now need to walk each of the system call tables in the kernel
and insert audit event type mappings similar to the ones present in
syscalls.master for the main system call table.  Probably the most
significant up-front are the FreeBSD 32-bit compat system call table used
for 64-bit FeeBSD systems (compat/freebsd32), and the Linux ABI system
call table (compat/linux).  In doing so, we need to make sure that audit
calls in the system calls gather the same arguments needed for the native
ones, etc.  In many cases it will "just work" since the Linux calls are
very thin wrappers around the same calls for FreeBSD; in some cases, more
work will be needed.  In a few cases there will be system calls/services
not present in Solaris/Darwin/FreeBSD that we'll have to assign new event
types for.

robert at fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research