Avoiding upgrade to xorg 7.2

Florent Thoumie flz at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 14 09:55:16 UTC 2007

Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:

>>> Hey, I'm sure you work very hard to make it all work.  I appreciate that
>>> very much.
>>>
>>> My problem is that for people who don't know exactly how the ports
>>> system works and don't keep track of messages in CVS logs or maillists
>>> it has become very difficult to use the ports system.  It's almost as if
>>> it's only for a small group of people who keep their secrets away from
>>> casual users.  I know this isn't so, but that's what it looks like from
>>> the outside.
>>>
>>> My main complaint is that the dependencies are not working properly.  So
>>> I have xorg 6.9.  If I upgrade some port that works just fine with xorg
>>> 6.9 there should not be a dependency on xorg 7.2.  This is a generic
>>> problem with the ports system, it appears.
>> It's never been supported to mix and match random old versions of
>> ports with new ones.  This is a bug in your expectation of how ports
>> should work.
>
> So I should expect that when I want to include a bugfix in one port I
> need to rebuild just about every port that I have installed?  No, I
> don't expect that!

It usually just works, but there's no guarantee for that.

> Come on, I have worked on port/build/install systems myself, I know very
> well what is possible.  The FreeBSD port system just appears to be very
> picky about dependencies, something that should be fixed eventually.
> Please admit that this is a missing feature, don't pretend the port
> system is perfect.

No it's far from perfect. We only guarantee that a port will be
buildable if all dependencies are up-to-date, because it's tested this
way on our cluster. The ports system is very dynamic, so we can't
possibly test all combinations. As Mark said (I think), it would have
been possible to support xorg 6.9 after the xorg 7.2 merge but that
required more work and I didn't feel like doing it. so blame me for that.

> And never tell the user he is wrong.

Well, sometimes the user is wrong. In this case your expectations just
don't match with ports design.

>>> Now I still don't know how to use or set a CVS tag for cvsup...
>> We have excellent documentation on this and other relevant topics.  I
>> suggest you take the opportunity to increase your knowledge.
>
> Somehow you manage to hide this excellent documentation so that I can't
> find it.  Teasing me by telling me it exists and that it's my fault that
> I didn't read it completely sucks.

A quick man cvsup (/tag) or grep tag on ports-supfile should be all you
need for this.

--
Florent Thoumie
flz at FreeBSD.org