Avoiding upgrade to xorg 7.2

Bram Moolenaar Bram at moolenaar.net
Thu Jun 14 09:38:13 UTC 2007

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 11:23:01PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> >
> > Mark Linimon wrote:

> > >   "CVS tags: PRE_XORG_7"
> > >
> > > So, it's not a variable, it's a CVS tag.  You will need to revert your
> > > entire ports tree to that date, if that's what you want to do.
> > >
> > > The testing and integration of xorg7.2 strained our resources.  There
> > > was no way we had enough time/people/resources to do the testing with
> > > a switch that could be thrown either way.  Sorry.
> >
> > Hey, I'm sure you work very hard to make it all work.  I appreciate that
> > very much.
> >
> > My problem is that for people who don't know exactly how the ports
> > system works and don't keep track of messages in CVS logs or maillists
> > it has become very difficult to use the ports system.  It's almost as if
> > it's only for a small group of people who keep their secrets away from
> > casual users.  I know this isn't so, but that's what it looks like from
> > the outside.
> >
> > My main complaint is that the dependencies are not working properly.  So
> > I have xorg 6.9.  If I upgrade some port that works just fine with xorg
> > 6.9 there should not be a dependency on xorg 7.2.  This is a generic
> > problem with the ports system, it appears.
>
> It's never been supported to mix and match random old versions of
> ports with new ones.  This is a bug in your expectation of how ports
> should work.

So I should expect that when I want to include a bugfix in one port I
need to rebuild just about every port that I have installed?  No, I
don't expect that!

Come on, I have worked on port/build/install systems myself, I know very
well what is possible.  The FreeBSD port system just appears to be very
picky about dependencies, something that should be fixed eventually.
Please admit that this is a missing feature, don't pretend the port
system is perfect.  And never tell the user he is wrong.

> > Now I still don't know how to use or set a CVS tag for cvsup...
>
> We have excellent documentation on this and other relevant topics.  I
> suggest you take the opportunity to increase your knowledge.

Somehow you manage to hide this excellent documentation so that I can't
find it.  Teasing me by telling me it exists and that it's my fault that
I didn't read it completely sucks.

238. You think faxes are old-fashioned.

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram at Moolenaar.net -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\