Avoiding upgrade to xorg 7.2

Bram Moolenaar Bram at moolenaar.net
Thu Jun 14 20:32:49 UTC 2007

Florent Thoumie wrote:

> No it's far from perfect. We only guarantee that a port will be
> buildable if all dependencies are up-to-date, because it's tested this
> way on our cluster. The ports system is very dynamic, so we can't
> possibly test all combinations. As Mark said (I think), it would have
> been possible to support xorg 6.9 after the xorg 7.2 merge but that
> required more work and I didn't feel like doing it. so blame me for that.

I'm glad to read a sensible remark.  Yes, maintaining ports is a lot of
work.  And there are no guarantees.  Even after testing (you never know
what was installed outside of the ports system!).

But if I say that I'll accept the risc to update one port without using
the tested dependencies, I cannot find out how to do that.  I guess I
just have to download the source manually, find any patches that are
required and configure/make/install outside of the ports system.

> > And never tell the user he is wrong.
>
> Well, sometimes the user is wrong. In this case your expectations just
> don't match with ports design.

Yeah, sorry for being a bit negative.

> >> We have excellent documentation on this and other relevant topics.  I
> >> suggest you take the opportunity to increase your knowledge.
> >
> > Somehow you manage to hide this excellent documentation so that I can't
> > find it.  Teasing me by telling me it exists and that it's my fault that
> > I didn't read it completely sucks.
>
> A quick man cvsup (/tag) or grep tag on ports-supfile should be all you
> need for this.

Still don't find anything about "xorg" here.  I did notice the "tag"
field in the supfile, but no hint of what it's value should be.  The
handbook actually mentions that for ports it always must be "tag=.".

246. You use up your free 100 hours in less than a week.

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram at Moolenaar.net -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\