New USB drivers

Andrei Kolu antik at bsd.ee
Sun May 6 09:51:47 UTC 2007

On Saturday 05 May 2007 19:59, Scott Long wrote:
> Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> > On Friday 04 May 2007 20:06, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >> I have now been running the Hans Petter's USB drivers for about a week
> >> and they have been working pretty well.
> >>
> >> That said, I have seen two things that concern me.
> >>
> >> 1. Today I connected a USB disk to the system. It ran fine, but then I
> >>    dismounted it (using nautilus and hald), the window informing me that
> >>    the device could be safely removed popped up and I unplugged the
> >>    drive.
> >>
> >>    At that point, my system live-locked. I did see some updates to
> >>    windows, but I could not change focus to a different window nor could
> >>    I move to a different desktop. I tried CTRL-ALT-BS to kill X, but it
> >>    would not work. I tried CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot the system. No joy.
> >>
> >>    The system was at least partly alive as the disk activity LED would
> >>    flash now and then. I eventually had to power-cycle it. :-( As a
> >>    result I have pretty much no information to help track this one down.
> >
> > This is a problem in the CAM layer. It does not really support detaching
> > the SIM I think.
> >
> > Scott: When will this issue be fixed ?
>
> I've tested pulling USB drives in the MPSAFE CAM stack in 7-CURRENT.
> It's not as solid as I would like, but it does work most of the time.
> I'll continue to work on it, but it's not my highest priority
> unfortunately.  And, I'll say it again, what needs to happen is for
> the umass driver to be split into a SIM that attaches to each USB bus,
> and a target that attaches when the umass device is inserted.  If no
> one else does it, I'll probably wind up rewriting the driver myself to
> do that.
>
> Scott

My problem is that USB is slow as hell especially when reading files from
external USB drive and FAT32 filesystem (3,5MB/s max)- tested with FreeBSD
6.1 p11 and 6.2 p3. From same drive with NTFS filesystem I have read speed up
to 5MB/s but unable to read files over 4GB size- only first 300MB is read and
then silently dropped- no error message or whatsoever (I guess this is
related to FreeBSD filesystem layer not USB) but with same drive I can
read/write both filesystems up to 13MB/s in Windows XP SP2- 4GB files are
read without any problem. Interesting that with UFS2 filesystem I got same
speed as in windows under FreeBSD.

Anyone have clue how can I debug what is wrong?