New USB drivers

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Sat May 5 17:00:14 UTC 2007

Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On Friday 04 May 2007 20:06, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> I have now been running the Hans Petter's USB drivers for about a week
>> and they have been working pretty well.
>>
>> That said, I have seen two things that concern me.
>>
>> 1. Today I connected a USB disk to the system. It ran fine, but then I
>>    dismounted it (using nautilus and hald), the window informing me that
>>    the device could be safely removed popped up and I unplugged the
>>    drive.
>>
>>    At that point, my system live-locked. I did see some updates to
>>    windows, but I could not change focus to a different window nor could
>>    I move to a different desktop. I tried CTRL-ALT-BS to kill X, but it
>>    would not work. I tried CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot the system. No joy.
>>
>>    The system was at least partly alive as the disk activity LED would
>>    flash now and then. I eventually had to power-cycle it. :-( As a
>>    result I have pretty much no information to help track this one down.
>
> This is a problem in the CAM layer. It does not really support detaching the
> SIM I think.
>
> Scott: When will this issue be fixed ?

I've tested pulling USB drives in the MPSAFE CAM stack in 7-CURRENT.
It's not as solid as I would like, but it does work most of the time.
I'll continue to work on it, but it's not my highest priority
unfortunately.  And, I'll say it again, what needs to happen is for
the umass driver to be split into a SIM that attaches to each USB bus,
and a target that attaches when the umass device is inserted.  If no
one else does it, I'll probably wind up rewriting the driver myself to
do that.

Scott