Need help with wireless joystick/keyboard combo

Paul Boehmer paul at pboehmer.com
Wed Dec 6 06:57:42 PST 2006

I purchased a Ione Scorpius-P20 2.4GHz wireless joystick keyboard for use
with a media PC (EPIA EN12000EG board) that I am building.  The box is
currently running 6.2-Prerelease.  When the system boots up, the joystick
is detected and installed as ums0 (great!), but the keyboard gets the
following error:

ukbd0: Itron Presenter, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2, iclass 3/1
ukbd: set protocol failed
device_attach: ukbd0 attach returned 6

For grins, I then booted the box with a Knoppix live CD and noticed that
the keyboard and joystick are detected as uhid devices.  The rebuilt the
kernel once again, omitting the ums and ukbd drivers.  Rebooted the box
and now I see:

uhid0: Itron Presenter, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2, iclass 3/1
uhid1: Itron Presenter, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2, iclass 3/1
usbd_transfer_cb: short transfer 0<2

>From a ssh connection, I run the following:

> usbhidctl -f /dev/uhid0 -a
Generic_Desktop:Pointer.Button:Button_1=1
Generic_Desktop:Pointer.Button:Button_2=1
Generic_Desktop:Pointer.Button:Button_3=1
Generic_Desktop:Pointer.Button:Button_4=1
Generic_Desktop:Pointer.Button:Button_5=1
Generic_Desktop:Pointer.Button:Button_6=1
Generic_Desktop:Pointer.Button:Button_7=1
Generic_Desktop:Pointer.Generic_Desktop:X=0
Generic_Desktop:Pointer.Generic_Desktop:Y=0
Generic_Desktop:Pointer.Generic_Desktop:Wheel=0

> usbhidctl -f /dev/uhid1 -a
Generic_Desktop:Keyboard.Keyboard:Keyboard_LeftControl=0
Generic_Desktop:Keyboard.Keyboard:Keyboard_LeftShift=0
Generic_Desktop:Keyboard.Keyboard:Keyboard_LeftAlt=0
Generic_Desktop:Keyboard.Keyboard:Keyboard_Left_GUI=0
Generic_Desktop:Keyboard.Keyboard:Keyboard_RightControl=0
Generic_Desktop:Keyboard.Keyboard:Keyboard_RightShift=0
Generic_Desktop:Keyboard.Keyboard:Keyboard_RightAlt=0
Generic_Desktop:Keyboard.Keyboard:Keyboard_Right_GUI=0
Generic_Desktop:Keyboard.Keyboard:Reserved_(no_event_indicated)=000000

This looks promising, but seems my keyboard is missing a few keys.  I am a
little green on USB debugging (actually a lot).  I have USB debugging
enabled in the kernel, I am just not sure where to proceed from here.  I
can provide full dmesg's if needed.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

--
Paul Boehmer
paul at pboehmer.com