usb/99419: external usb harddrive slow to accept

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Wed Dec 6 14:10:31 PST 2006

The following reply was made to PR usb/99419; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>
To: bug-followup at freebsd.org,
 list at understudy.net
Subject: Re: usb/99419: external usb harddrive slow to accept
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 22:46:19 +0100

 I have another datapoint that is interesting. This problem does not appear to
 be even FreeBSD specific.

 I bought two of these devices. One of them was plugged into the FreeBSD
 machine (as per previous post). The second one I was holding off on. But
 today I inserted it into an OpenSolaris machine (NexentaOS_20061012), and am
 experiencing almost EXACTLY the same problem.

 The kernel will detect the presence of it immediately, but trying to list
 contents of /devices/pci at ... just leads to a hang. Until about 25 minutes or
 so later when the kernel reports that the device is "online", and /devices
 stops hanging (and rmformat etc works again).

 Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Solaris USB implementation
 100% independent of the FreeBSD implementation? If so, and given the very
 specific and IMO weird symptom of this bug, does not this indicate there may
 be an actual bug in the device (even if it's not triggered in Windows or
 Linux)?

 PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
 Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
 E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org