Legacy keyboard suppport stops USB from working! (uhci)

Ian Dowse iedowse at maths.tcd.ie
Thu Nov 11 02:20:38 PST 2004

In message <20041110111231.GB908 at genius.tao.org.uk>, Josef Karthauser writes:

>Do users know that having legacy keyboard/mouse support switched on
>in the bios is a sure fire way of causing USB to not work properly?
>I wonder whether we would benefit from something like the following
>patch.

It's worth noting that the reason legacy emulation causes problems
is often that FreeBSD has not undone the BIOS's configuration of
the EHCI controller. Adding 'device ehci' to the kernel config seems
to fix this in many cases. What hardware were you seeing the problem
on, and does it have an EHCI controller that's not being set up by
FreeBSD?

Many PCs these days have no PS/2 mouse or keyboard ports, so it's
important that we work with legacy emulation turned on where possible.

Ian